Can't believe it is December already. A few teams have already played as many as eight games. So we have a little bit of indication of who is playing up to potential and who, um, isn't (Oakland, Wright State, where are you?!!, Earth to San Diego, come in Toreros!)
There was a huge amount of turnover in the Baker's Dozen as four teams left the Baker's Dozen -Kent State went from 3-0 to 3-3 in the span of four days, Siena went 0 for the Old Spice Classic, Ohio couldn't make it two years straight over George Mason and VCU lost two of three for the week.
1) Gonzaga (5-0) - Did you watch the Old Spice Classic over the span of three days? If so, enough said about the Zags.
2) Davidson (5-1) - Bob McKillop should thank Jimmy Patsos for helping his team develop in the span of 40 minutes. Now the Wildcats know how to play without Stephen Curry. Uh oh.
3) Illinois State (7-0) - Impressive seven game win streak. Wish the competition was a little better for the Redbirds.
4) Butler (5-0) - Amazing. Supposed to be a rebuilding year and the Bulldogs are back atop the Horizon.
5) Western Kentucky (4-2) - An absolutely huge win over #3 Louisville, followed up by a solid win over the defending SEC tournament champions, Georgia. Throw in a win over Southern Illinois and that puts the Hilltoppers, a Sweet Sixteen team from a season ago, back into the Baker's Dozen.
6) St Mary’s (5-1)- Bounced back after first round loss to UTEP in 76 classic to win next two games. However, they need serious work in their help defense. Still too many easy baskets given up the Gaels.
7) Charleston (5-1) - First win in 78 years over the Gamecocks. Cougars are getting better and better.
8) UALR (5-0) - Big time win over Creighton puts another Sun Belt team in the Dozen.
9) Cleveland State (5-2) - A twenty four point crushing of Valpo gives the Vikings four wins in a row and a return to the Baker's Dozen.
10) George Mason (5-2) - Nice win over Ohio only slightly tainted by overtime loss to newest Baker's Dozen member Liberty. See why its not so bad of a loss down below.
11) Mercer (6-2) - Only losses are to 7-0 Dayton and 4-0 Georgia Tech. Came back to win their next two games. Remember they have two wins over Auburn and Alabama. The top team in the Atlantic Sun.
12) Creighton (4-2) - Tough road losses to UALR and Nebraska. Had big leads in both games but let them both slip away. Rebounded with easy win over Mississippi Valley State. Much tougher game at St Joe's on Saturday.
13) Liberty (5-1) - Big comeback win vs. Mason is not the only feather in the Flames' cap. Early season win vs. Virginia AT CHARLOTTESVILLE puts Liberty on the map. It is ironic that they are 0-1 in the Big South. Won't be for long though.
Two teams not far off the list are Niagara and Utah State. Both have tough contests in their next games;Niagara faces Akron while Utah State takes on BYU.